More and more women choose to immerse themselves in warm water during their childbirth.
Here are 5 great benefits that gift you and your baby and can make your birth much smoother, safer and healthier for the both of you:
- when Immersing in warm water, the mother feels cocooned and enveloped, which goes so well with the mental redrawing of the outside world.
- Mothers are more buoyant in the water and able to move in ways that aid birth of the baby.
- Birth attendants are more reluctant to get wet, This can prevent interference as It is harder to ‘disturb’ the birthing woman .
- The warmth of the water enhances the blood flow to the perineal tissues, encourages them to gradually stretch , thus lowers the incidence of perineal tearing.
- An immediate Skin to skin contact between the mother and baby right after the birth is enhanced. A higher chance of an ‘undisturbed first hour’ after birth, thus enhancing the natural hormones and spontaneous expulsion of the placenta.