[Video] 5 essential things for your birthing bag and what making love has to do with it
Giving birth in many ways is similar to making love. The same energy that brought your baby in, is the same one that will help him or her to come out. Its also the same hormonal cocktail which plays such a major and crucial role in making this delicate process to work so smoothly. So Bring onto your mind the scene of making love, and you will see how many of the following measures can greatly support you at the time of you birth, when on all level of existence you are at the most exposed, open, vulnerable and inhibited state.
- Keeping the light dimmed or using Candles (either real if you are at home or battery operated for hospital). Together with helping create a romantic, intimate and comfortable atmosphere, after all, you are bringing the fruit of your love into the world, it also supports the much needed ongoing secretion of oxytocin, the love hormone, a very shy hormone, and endorphins, the hormone of pleasure and well being. Making love, see what I mean?! :)- the perfect conditions to give birth in.
- Essential oils – When it comes to smells, it is all about your personal preferences. Saying that, from an Aromatherapy perspective, for the first phase of birth, the light, uplifting smells of the citron family, such as- orange, mandarine etc are great to keep you refreshed and energised, encouraging your muscles to relax and for your cervix to open up easily and smoothly. As your birth advances, the more lushes feminine smells such as Jasmine, Rose, Yalng Yalng can be great in supporting you as you tap into the core of your strength, wisdom and determination to bring your baby into this world. Clary Sage is known of its quality to enhance surges and enhance relaxation at the same time, and in general -Lavender and Rose oils are simply heavenly and a wonderful way to make the birthing room, your partner and the entire birth team as relaxed and at ease as possible.
- Relaxing music – again music is such a powerful way to manage your mood. Having relaxing music can again help everyone in the room stay calm and relaxed. Again, it all comes to what ever that makes you tick- It can be your favourite classical music list, mediative Music, relaxation scripts, anything that transport your mind into a super chilled state. You and everyone else in the birthing room.
- Keeping yourself well hydrated, so A water bottle and a straw. having a long straw taped to the glass means you can drink any position you are in!
- A favourite shawl or blanket. Having something familiar and cosy to wrap round you, go under or throw over a birthing ball is another way of helping you stay relaxed and calm. Being curled up under your warm and familiar home scent blanket can be so comforting and relaxing, so bring it with you if you are going to hospital to re create those same conditions.
About the author
Inbal Sigler is the founder of Isis HypnoBirthing & Yoga. She is also a certified HypnoBirthing trainer, Yoga teacher specialized in pre- and postnatal, and a doula. Isis Hypnobirthing & Yoga is a comprehensive pregnancy and childbirth preparation course combining techniques of Hypnobirthing, Theta Healing, Chinese Medicine and Yoga. Inbal supports women on the amazing journey to motherhood in fertility, pregnancy support and birth support.